Monday 29 November 2010

Delayed At Kings Cross


I can't begin to fathom how much you weigh,
With your eighteen carriages, bar and cafe,
I don't know how you move, or get from A to B,
Nor do I know the engineering or technicality.
All I know is what makes you go wrong,
Like the leaves on the track that kept me in Wakefield for so long,
How leaves stop a train is a mystery to me,
Unless they are on the track, and still attached to the tree.
The Half inch of snow that fell in Edinburgh one spring,
Who would have guessed at the disruption half an inch can bring.
I was in Birmingham overnight due to signalling problems in Aberdeen,
Of course this shouldn't have stopped me on my way to Gretna Green.
Vandals on the track kept me static in Fulham,
Problems with staff cost me two hours in Durham.
'Reservations could not be reserved, we couldn't save your seat,
Enjoy travelling to Cornwall, outside the toilet, on your feet'
Prices have increased, mortgage your house if you want to buy,
Or find another mode of transport, it's now cheaper to fly.
Still, we never learn, as we stand, stamping our feet,
longing for the train and longing for the heat.
We bring hats down, over our ears, and put gloved hands in our coats,
'Expected any minute now' the arrivals board gloats.
But there is no greater feeling, getting home after the wait,
And crawling in to bed, four hours late.

No comments:

Post a Comment